Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE)

What you should know about the Veterinary Technician National Exam

At the end of 2005 the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Exam) was sold by PES (The Professional Exam Service) to the AAVSB (The American Association of Veterinary State Boards).  June of 2006 was the last time veterinary technicians who have not graduated from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program could sit for the VTNE in Massachusetts.  This was a ruling done by the AAVSB, not the MVTA. Currently, those who have not gone to an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program can apply to take the VTNE through Wisconsin.

You can contact the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture at 608-224-4353 for more information. If you are accepted by the state of Wisconsin you will then apply to the AAVSB to sit for the VTNE. You do not have to go to Wisconsin to take the VTNE. You will take the VTNE at one of the computer based testing sites in Massachusetts. Once you take and pass the VTNE you can then apply to the MVTA for certification. The MVTA does not offer reciprocity to veterinary technicians who have been licensed in Wisconsin as some of the requirements for licensure in Wisconsin do not meet or exceed the requirements for certification with the MVTA. Therefore, you must apply as a new CVT. If you have any questions you can contact the MVTA by email at [email protected] or voice mail 508-281-6297.

 The VTNE is now offered three times per year at a Prometric Testing Center. In the state of Massachusetts only veterinary technicians who have graduated from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program can sit for the VTNE.

Note that passing the VTNE does not automatically confer the title of CVT to a technician. A new CVT application must be submitted to the MVTA.