Please join the MVTA for information and discussion on this important topic 

Veterinary Nurse or Veterinary Technician?

The Veterinary Nurse Initiative: An Update to the Veterinary Technician Credentials

 The National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA) has launched the Veterinary Nurse Initiative (VNI). The goal of the VNI is to standardize the credential for our profession in terms of credentialing requirements, title, and scope of practice throughout the nation. A standardized credential will unify the profession and grow professional recognition. Some of the questions this presentation will answer include:

  • Why change the current “Veterinary Technician” title to “Registered Veterinary Nurse”?
  • How will changing the title Veterinary Technician impact credentialing standards?
  • How might this affect me?
  • Will this open new career opportunities?

This presentation is approved for 1 CEU and provided by the MVTA. There is no charge to attend but registration is required to ensure adequate seating.

Click here for more information and to register


Pending Legislation for Licensure of Veterinary Technicians:

A legislative hearing on our bill to establish licensure for Veterinary Technicians in Massachusetts (H.159) was held on October 3, 2017 at the State House.

The hearing is before the Joint Committee on Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure.  Other bills will also be heard.

 Here is what you can do to help get this bill through the  Joint Committee on Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure

Contact your state Representative and Senator.  If you can’t be there for the hearing, you can contact your legislator either by phone/letter/email or in person during office hours (most legislators have local office hours in the towns they represent).  You can find information on how to contact your legislator at and searching by their name.  If you are not sure who your legislator is, you can use this link to find out: Please use the links below to access a couple of documents with information and tips for contacting your legislators.

Bullet points for contacting your legislators
Lobbying tips


When you talk to your legislator, you should let them know that you are a constituent and you are asking for their support of House Bill 159 (An Act to Establish a Subsidiary Board for Veterinary Technology) and that the bill is going to be heard by the Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure committee. The attached document has a few key points you can make to maximize your time with them. If you are able to reach out to your legislator, please let Erin know.

Below are the members of that committee.  If any are your legislators, please let Erin know as soon as possible.  Their committee is our first hurdle in passing our bill.

Senators - Barbara A. L'Italien (Senate Chair), Michael D. Brady, Sal N. DiDomenico, Ryan C. Fattman

Representatives - Tackey Chan (House Chair), Daniel J. Hunt, Ruth B. Balser, James Arciero, Smitty Pignatelli, Jay D. Livingstone, Jonathan D. Zlotnik, Jose F. Tosado, Juana Matias, Steven S. Howitt, Joseph D. McKenna

 Thanks to our partnership with Mary Ann Walsh at Governmental Strategies, we are hopeful that the bill will gain some traction and move further through the process this time around (hopefully to the finish line!). That said, we need your help to get it through!  

Read the full bill here

 How will this legislation affect you?

Certified Veterinary Technicians (CVTs) in good standing with the MVTA will be license eligible.

Graduates of AVMA accredited programs who have passed the VTNE will be license eligible.

Graduates of AVMA accredited programs who have not yet taken or have not yet passed the VTNE may sit for the VTNE in MA to become license eligible.

If you are a licensed veterinary technician from another state and meet or exceed MA state requirements, reciprocity will be granted.

If you are on-the-job-trained or have a degree in another related field and meet certain requirements, there is a provision in the legislation to allow you to sit for the VTNE for a limited time and become license eligible.

What are my options for obtaining a degree?

AVMA Accredited Veterinary Technology Programs in Massachusetts

  • Becker College, Leicester, MA (877) 5 Becker
  • Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA (413) 538-7000
  • Mount Ida College, Newton, MA (617)928-4500
  • North Shore Community College, Danvers, MA (978) 762-4000
  • The Veterinary Technology Program at Massasoit has been designed following the accreditation guidelines of the AVMA. At the current time, the program it is not yet accredited, however the AVMA has accepted Massasoit’s Veterinary Technology Program application for accreditation and will be performing an accreditation Site Visit in February 2017.
  • Massasoit Community College, MA, 508-588-9100 X-2380

There are also several distance learning programs available. See the AVMA website for additional information

Managing the cost or time for school:

At least one of the distance learning programs costs less than $900 for the first semester.  All the MA programs welcome part-time students.

What resources are available to study for the VTNE?

Study guides are available for purchase online.

Online review courses are available at VSPNVetMedTeam,and  VetTechPrep

As a practice owner or manager, how can I help my employees?

Don't wait!  Take advantage of all opportunities available now.

  • Offer full or partial tuition reimbursement.
  • Encourage eligible technicians to prepare for and take the VTNE, even if they have to travel to another state.
  • Promote licensure and continuing education.
  • Reimburse membership in professional organizations.
  • Offer CE.reimbursement

Where can I find more information on the legislative process? 

Read the bill